We responded to a questionnaire focusing on mergers and acquisitions transactions under Turkish law.
What are the key laws and regulations that govern mergers and acquisitions in your jurisdiction?
There is no specific regulation exclusively governing mergers and acquisitions in Turkey. However, there are a number of primary laws that encompass various aspects one would expect to see in a typical mergers and acquisi- tions transaction. Such key laws and regulations that govern mergers and acquisitions in Turkey are:
- the Turkish Commercial Code No. 6102;
- the Turkish Code of Obligations No. 6098;
- the Capital Markets Law No. 6362;
- the Law on the Protection of Competition No. 4054;
- the Corporate Tax Law No. 5520;
- the Labour Law Code No. 4857; and
- the Trade Registry Regulation.
In some sector-specific deals, such as those involving an insurance company or an energy company, some other laws and regulations that govern such sectors may also become relevant. Although they are not directly related to mergers and acquisitions, they might have to be taken into consideration in a typical M&A deal.
For full copy of the article, please click here.