Employment and employee benefits in Turkey: overview
SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT REGULATION
1. Do the main laws that regulate the employment relationship apply to:
• Foreign nationals working in your jurisdiction?
• Nationals of your jurisdiction working abroad?
Laws applicable to foreign nationals
Employment laws in Turkey apply to Turkish nationals and foreign nationals alike. In addition, special provisions exist which regulate the employment and residence permits of foreign nationals who intend to work in Turkey.
The main pieces of employment related legislation applicable to both Turkish nationals and foreign nationals are as follows:
• Turkish Labour Code (No. 4857), published in the Official Gazette dated 22 May 2003 and numbered 25134.
• Turkish Code of Obligations (No. 6098), published in the Official Gazette dated 4 February 2012 and numbered 27836, which entered into force on 1 July 2012.
• Social Insurance and General Health Insurance Code (No. 5510), published in the Official Gazette dated 16 June 2006 and numbered 26200.
• Code of Work Permits for Foreigners (No. 4817), published in the Official Gazette dated 6 March 2003 and numbered 25040.
© Thomson Reuters 2015
This article was first published in the Finance Global Guide 2015/16
and is reproduced with the permission of the publisher, Thomson Reuters.
The law is stated as at 1 September 2015.